There are big things that need to be done to get ready for the viva, but lots of small things too.
Small things build up. Small gains in preparation. Small tasks that set up larger activity.
If you’ve done everything on the “one little thing list” I shared last year, here are a few more little things that could help you get ready, when you’re tired or pressured or time is tight:
- Write two sentences about one great paper you used.
- Stick one Post-it in your thesis to mark something amazing.
- Find one song that helps build you up and add it to a playlist.
- Scribble down one question you think you could answer really well.
- Take five minutes to just rest.
A thesis and a PhD are typically made up of big things. Lots of small things help stick them together. Small wins, small gains, small improvements.
Prep for the viva isn’t so different.