A little structure is a great way to start reflection, and Three Whats is a really neat little structure. It’s really flexible and can be applied to a lot of the areas that are worth thinking about towards the end of the PhD and as part of viva preparations.
- What was the biggest obstacle during your PhD?
- So what did you do to resolve the situation?
- Now what do you think about it?
- What do you need help with before the viva?
- So what group(s) of people can you ask?
- Now what are you going to do first?
- What are you worried most about your viva?
- So what can you do to improve how you feel?
- Now what is your priority for action?
What, so what and now what are great for reflection, problem solving and a lot more. What other ways might you use them as you prepare for your viva?