If you could wave a magic wand and improve some aspect of being ready for your viva, what would you do?
- Perhaps you could memorise your thesis.
- Would you want to know all of the questions in advance?
- Maybe it would be good to feel really certain that you’re ready.
- Or would it help to see your thesis beautifully annotated to help you?
All great, idealised outcomes. But there’s no magic wand. We can’t get perfection.
Instead, you could take small steps towards all of these. You can’t be perfect, but you can make things better.
- You could read your thesis and break it down into a list of sections.
- You could practise in a mock or with friends to get comfortable responding to questions.
- You could do things to reflect on all you’ve achieved on the PhD journey so far.
- And you could add a careful set of notes to your thesis to help you on the day.
No Zap! No magic. Just lots of small, positive steps to helping you get ready. What will you do?