It’s my birthday, and it dawned on me that I’ve put a lot of myself into the daily blog since I started it in 2017. I recorded an episode of the Viva Survivors Podcast a long time ago with my best friend interviewing me, but I’m all over the place in the blog, bits and pieces of me cut out and glued into this scrapbook of viva help.
So here are a few of my favourite posts where a part of me makes up the idea of the piece:
- Sleepless In New Brighton – the night before my viva, and what that was like.
- Per Scientiam Ad Meliora – my old school motto and why I think it matters.
- World’s Largest Prairie Dog – a story from a road trip.
- Katamari PhD! – one of my favourite video games and how it connects to the PhD!
- Why I Do This – some of the inspiration behind doing this blog.
- The Knack – a very personal story about my dad, my childhood, and the end of the PhD.
I don’t think you can do something like this, for nearly a thousand posts, without bits and pieces of yourself creeping in. I’m happy that I’m here and there throughout the blog. I hope you find these posts interesting, and in some cases entertaining too!
Now, while I go and celebrate not-quite-being-40-just-yet, if you have time reflect on what I’ve been reflecting: where can you find yourself in your work? Where are you in your thesis and your research?