One of the best reasons to annotate your thesis is to make things stand out. For example:
- Highlight key references and how you’ve used them;
- Underline your typos for easier correction later;
- Draw attention to jargon and specialist terms;
- Draw attention to key passages of your thesis;
- Highlight the parts you’re most proud of.
Annotation is purposeful work while you’re doing it; afterwards you have a more useful resource for your prep and the viva.
You can make your thesis clearer while you get ready for the viva. Start by asking yourself, “What would help me?”