The viva is a conversation between you and your examiners. They use questions to facilitate a discussion about you, your research and your thesis. They’re looking for you to demonstrate your capability as a researcher and the contribution in your thesis.
So, when it’s your turn to speak:
- Make sure you understand the question.
- Know that not every question has an “answer”.
- If the first thought in your mind is “I don’t know,” then pause and think again.
- Take your time when speaking, there’s no rush.
- Use diagrams or sketches to help share your points, if appropriate.
And remember to actually respond to the question!