Luck could be a factor in your viva, some strange twist of fate that determines the eventual outcome. But in the same way that sunlight and water stimulates plant growth more than playing Mozart, there are other factors that are far more important. For example:
- The work you did in your PhD;
- Getting help from others;
- Knowing what to expect from the viva;
- Taking steps to prepare for it;
- Feeling confident about your ability.
Don’t rely on luck winning through for you; instead, focus on factors that you can actually influence to steer your success.
Hope is not a strategy; luck is not a resource.