I was reminded earlier this month of the coaching tool GROW, and how useful it can be to start conversations that help people change.
- Goal: what is it you want?
- Reality: where are you now?
- Options: what could you do?
- Will: what will you do?
When I heard this again a little thought started to form about the kinds of questions that relate to these words. I was at a three-day workshop on leadership, and as my friend described GROW to the participants it struck me that this could also be a neat framework to help someone prepare for their viva.
- Goal: what does prepared look like for you? What are you working towards?
- Reality: how much time will you have available? Who could help you?
- Options: given your resources, what could you do to be ready? And what do you not have time for?
- Will: how are you going to make time for what you need to do? When will you get the work done?
A short, four-step sequence for figuring out options or a plan for viva prep. There’s no sense in making a plan that won’t work for you.
It doesn’t need to take long to get to work.
[…] like the tool GROW – Goal, Reality, Options, Will – as a tool for coaching and development. It is a nice […]