No, you can’t prepare for your viva in just one minute, but there are tasks you can do to help your preparation which only take a minute. Most of them lay foundations for later, deeper work.
Here are ten ideas; some might seem like little things, but all will help!
- Stick Post-it Notes at the start of every chapter in your thesis.
- Take a minute to write down any questions that come to mind about your research.
- List keywords you associate with your contribution.
- Gather stationery to help annotate your thesis.
- Decide on whether or not to have a mock viva.
- Find your examiners’ staff pages on the internet and bookmark them.
- Record yourself describing why you wanted to explore your thesis topic.
- Message a friend to come for coffee with you and listen to you talk about your research.
- Think about what you need to feel confident for the viva.
- Subscribe to Viva Survivors and then get posts in your inbox every day!
The little things you do for prep can add up, just like in the rest of your PhD.
(and in life for that matter)