Surviving the viva, surviving the PhD… It doesn’t mean overcoming obstacles or terrible trials. Survive means “manage to keep going in difficult circumstances”.
You survive the PhD because you find a way to keep going. You survive the viva by continuing in that way.
Like confidence, surviving is a topic I find fascinating to explore in the context of the viva. I hope you find these posts helpful.
- When You Don’t Know – how do you manage in the viva when you go blank?
- Manage To Keep Going – putting the definition of survive in context.
- Be Kind To Yourself – how you survive.
- Spoiler Alert! – what will happen in the viva.
- A Small Word – exploring what the viva really is.
Next year will certainly have challenges, possibly including your viva. How you survive will depend on what you do. It won’t just happen but you can decide how you will approach your year.
How will you manage to keep going in difficult circumstances?