Today: two series of questions that could help as one gets ready for the viva.
First a reflection on your research:
- Why is your research contribution valuable?
- How did you do your research?
- What was the result?
Second, a reflection on you, the researcher:
- When did you make the greatest progress on your research journey?
- Where have you found the most help and support?
- Who are you now that you are coming to the end of your PhD?
Long-time readers of the blog might recognise the “Six Honest Serving Men” of Rudyard Kipling: proto-questions that I think help find good questions for reflection.
Getting ready for the viva involves preparation related to your research and yourself. This could involve talking, making notes and so on – but a little quiet reflection can also be really useful. Invest some time in thinking about what you did and who you are now.