Viva prep can sometimes seem like a huge project. Existing pressure, personal responsibilities and fatigue can all add to overwhelm. There are no shortcuts to getting ready, but you can start the process by completing tasks that take very little time.
- Search for and bookmark your examiners’ staff pages to consult later.
- Download a copy of the viva regulations for your university.
- Stick Post-it Notes at the start of each chapter of your thesis to make it easier to navigate.
- Send a short email to a friend asking them to give you a mini-viva soon.
- Gather together stationery you could use to annotate your thesis.
- Decide on whether or not you want a mock viva with your supervisor – and let them know.
Small tasks can provide real benefit to viva prep or help to set up greater success. If you’re daunted by the scale of what you need to do then get some easy wins. Get small tasks done and then start to break down the bigger project of viva prep into smaller pieces.