While there are lots of good tasks that can help with viva preparation, maybe it would be better to gently nudge candidates. A few gentle nudges could be far more helpful to offer than a super-structured programme of work and deadlines.
- Sketch a plan for your prep.
- Ask for help.
- Your thesis can help in the viva – how could you prepare with it?
- Tell people about your work, and invite questions.
- Listen to stories about viva experiences.
- Reflect on the work you’ve done already.
- Explore what you could do to build your confidence.
A few gentle nudges can move someone to figure out what they need to do to feel ready for the viva.