PhD candidates often want to know about the “average” viva:
- How long do they usually take?
- What do examiners most often ask?
- How do they usually start?
- What’s the most common outcome?
This is to be expected and a good set of expectations is really helpful for a candidate. There are plenty of questions about the average viva, but perhaps it’s even more useful to focus on questions for the amazing viva?
- What do you most want to share with your examiners?
- What are you looking forward to talking about?
- What will you do to be well-prepared?
And, most importantly, what will you do to show up with as much confidence as you can find for this amazing event?
Expectations help, but so does preparation that raises you way above the average.