I keep six honest serving-men
(They taught me all I knew);
Their names are What and Why and When
And How and Where and Who.
If you’re starting your viva preparations, and perhaps want to shake loose some thoughts about what you’ve done, consider the following questions inspired by the words above:
- What’s been your aim for the last few years?
- Why did you start a PhD?
- When did you find your greatest idea to date?
- How have you approached your research?
- Where do you think your research could be applied?
- Who are you now, compared to when you started?
Reflect on your research and your journey to start your viva preparations. You may not be asked these questions directly, but you can be sure they will uncover ideas relevant to the discussions you’ll have with your examiners.