It has to be a top ten rather than the top ten, because there are so many useful things that one could do to get ready for the viva!
- Sketch a post-submission timeline.
- Stick a Post-it Note at the start of each thesis chapter.
- Read recent papers by your examiners.
- Check the regulations for your institution.
- Read. Your. Thesis.
- Have a mock viva.
- Write a few summaries.
- Check the details of the viva arrangements.
- Explore the why of your research.
- Find ways to remind yourself that you are good at what you do.
There’s more you could do, but this list would give someone a good overview of the practical work that helps.
What else would you add to this list? And what are you going to do next to get ready?