It’s useful to get recommendations from others on lots of things connected with the viva.
- Suggestions on what makes for good and bad examiners.
- Ideas on what a good thesis looks like.
- Tips for viva preparation.
- Tools to help you get ready.
- Advice on whether or not to have a mock viva.
- Help with feeling confident before the big day.
There’s no one-size-fits-all approach for any of these though. Ask for help, listen to recommendations, then sift with the ideas you get from others to see how you might apply them to your circumstances.
And after your viva be prepared to offer your own recommendations. Couch them as best you can in terms of ideas only. Leave space for people to make their own decisions, rather than give them room to doubt themselves.