In my Viva Survivor sessions I cover a lot of different topics, including a good half an hour on practical steps to take between submission and the viva.
Here’s the 1-minute version!
- Read Your Thesis. No excuses, don’t skim, read it once, refresh your memory. When do you need to start this?
- Annotate Your Thesis. Highlight, bookmarks, margins. What can you add to upgrade your thesis for the viva?
- Create Summaries. Take a step back, reflect, then capture something about your work. What questions or topics need your focus?
- Check Recent Literature. Take a little time to see what has been published recently. Where would you check?
- Research Your Examiners. Explore their recent publications and interests. How big a task is this for you?
- Find Opportunities To Rehearse. Mock vivas, conversations with friends and seminars can all help. Who do you need to ask for help?
Spend a little time on all of these areas and you’ll do a lot to help get ready for your viva.