If you can mark off most of the following then you’re good to go for the viva:
- I did everything I needed to for submission.
- I’ve read my thesis at least once since submission.
- I’ve checked out my examiners’ recent publications.
- I’ve annotated my thesis in a useful way.
- I’ve found opportunities to practise talking and answering questions.
- I have a useful set of expectations about the viva.
- I’ve written some helpful summaries of my thesis to make my thoughts clear.
- I know when and where I’m going on viva day.
- I’ve decided what I’ll wear.
- I know how I’m going to get to my viva.
- I know what I’m taking with me.
- I am confident in my abilities as a researcher.
Gut feeling helps. Perfection is impossible. If you can get to submission, you’re most of the way to viva success. It takes only a little more.