It’s not always easy to put exact numbers on the viva. Consider:
- The number of mistakes in your thesis will be less than the number of good ideas you’ve had over the course of your PhD.
- The number of minutes you spend in your viva will be less than the number of days you’ve spent on your research.
- How long your examiners have spent preparing for your viva is less than how long you have spent in preparation.
- The number of questions you’ll be asked in the viva is far less than the number you’ve already answered during your PhD.
- A few hours in the viva is less than a few weeks preparing for it, which is a lot less than the years that go into your research.
Expectations help. Deciding where to focus helps.