As you finish up your thesis, take twenty minutes to make a list of all the things that didn’t quite make it.
- What did you not have time for?
- What did you not have enough resources to do?
- What didn’t come together in your thinking?
- What did you realise too late to do anything about?
- What would you have changed if possible?
Label the list Nice, But Not Necessary. Add anything else you had thought to do, thought was a good idea, but which you didn’t get to. It can help you to think around your thesis, different approaches, tangents that would be good to explore, ideas that could have merit.
Interesting stuff, but not essential.
Keep the list, but know you don’t need to focus on what-might-have-been. Your thesis, the necessary, the essential, is good enough.