A summary is an answer to a question. For a postgraduate researcher with their viva in the future the question could be:
- How can I describe this concisely?
- How can I explain this to a novice?
- How can I display this visually for myself?
- How can I outline my thesis?
- How can I arrange what I know to most help myself?
- What’s the story of my research?
- What are the essential facts of my thesis?
- What does my thesis look like?
- What matters most about my work?
- What stands out about my research?
- Why is this a valuable contribution?
There are many, many useful questions to help create summaries. And there are many ways that you can arrange or display the content of an answer to create a summary. The act of making a summary is a useful tool for viva preparation. If you ask a better question you can find a more valuable answer.
Reflect a little. What kinds of information formats help you? So what kinds of summaries could help you?
So what kinds of questions could help you?